Housing Mobility Counseling
Are you ready for a change? Would you like to move to a different neighborhood?
Are you looking for better schools and opportunities? Do you have a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) or Rental Assistance Program (RAP) Voucher? Are you near the end of your current lease? If these questions apply to you, Housing Mobility can help.
What We Do
A division of My Sisters’ Place, Housing Mobility helps individuals and families living in disadvantaged areas in cities relocate to neighborhoods with better resources in the suburbs of those cities. Those who relocate to high opportunity neighborhoods typically experience lower crime rates, improved health conditions, and less psychological distress. These neighborhoods also offer access to community resources such as jobs, high-quality schools, and more.
Our counselors have a wealth of experience in housing, human services, case management, property management, and real estate.
High opportunity towns in the program include: West Hartford, Avon, Simsbury, Farmington, Canton, Burlington, Southington, Cheshire, Granby, Windsor, Ellington, South Windsor, Bolton, Glastonbury, Newington, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Tolland, Durham, Portland, Wolcott, and Coventry.
Requirements to Receive Housing Mobility Assistance:
- Currently receiving Section 8/HCV or RAP housing certificate
- Must be near the end of your current lease (1-3 months left on lease)
- Receiving income, either through employment or entitlements
- Willing to move to a high opportunity town listed above
Mobility Counseling Services
- Counseling on financial management, tenant rights, and home maintenance
- Assistance with credit repair
- Help identifying potential apartments
- Information about neighborhood amenities
- Aid in negotiating with landlords
- Post-move support
How to Get Started
Please complete our application, and return it via email or fax using the contact information below. You can also call us to schedule an appointment with one of our counselors.
If you are a landlord in the Hartford area and would like to work with us, please contact us (please see our list of towns covered above). We provide pre-screened potential tenants that have received tenant education with one of our counselors. If you would like to learn more about us, please download our brochure.